Associate Director, Trade & Commodity and Structured Inventory Product
Job Overview & Purpose:
A specialist role which focuses on providing Structured Inventory Product (SIP) client and deal origination, structuring expertise and relationship management for a range of Trade & Commodity Finance (TCF) and Corporate (Senior Relationship Banking (SRB)/ Loan Products Group (LPG)) clients and transactions in the TCF commodity sector(s).
Context of Job:
The Trade & Commodity Finance Franchise is part of Rabobank wholesale. The Trade and Commodity Finance business unit combines Rabobank’s long-term expertise in agricultural commodities, energy and metals finance. We aim to establish a position in the top best Trade & Commodity Finance banks, recognised for it’s in depth knowledge of commodity markets and high quality finance solutions.
Trade & Commodity Finance Sydney is part of a global network serving Rabobank’s largest international clients. We offer a range of products to our clients including trade finance facilities and ownership based funding solutions.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Relationship manage TCF Structured Inventory Products (SIP) clients and transactions, taking prime responsibility for designated own portfolio and backing up on other TCF Relationship Manager’s (RM) portfolios as proves necessary.
• Maintain and build a balanced portfolio (prudent and acceptable risk parameters) comprising facilitates typical for SIP products and services.
• Identifies opportunities for SIP across a wide variety of clients (TCF and Corporate Banking Clients)
• Design, structure, price and market SIP facilities to clients, including safeguarding consistency in the products/services offered and optimising revenues and returns.
• Communicate effectively with clients, including providing advice and information (such as product, price or market information) which is fair, clear and not misleading.
• Understand the legal and regulatory framework within which Rabo operates, including adequate knowledge and hands-on approach with regards to all major risk categories (e.g. operational, performance, market, legal, country, political and currency).
• Assist in the development, marketing and success of the Corporate Inventory Management product (Corporate Inventory Management - CIM).
• Composes a deal team for the execution of deals and manages this team during the whole deal.
• Manage the credit process as required in order to receive approval to offer appropriate products and services to nominated clients.
• Participate in the monitoring and management of positions, risk limits and economic capital (EC) calculations so far as Credit is concerned & SIP income, facility drawings and actual EC use so far as Finance is concerned.
• Liaise with Corporate Banking Relationship Managers where applicable in respect to existing and target customer relationships including input with preparation of credit submissions.
• Instruction of and negotiation with internal and (as appropriate) external legal professionals regarding SIP facility documentation.
• In agreement with Head TCF, Australia and New Zealand set client targets and action plans – focussing commercial activities mainly on the F&A sector, but also on exploring opportunities in consistent with the TCF core sectors of Agriculture.
• Represent the Bank at functions, seminars, etc.
• Assist with ongoing administration of TCF activities.
• Assist Head TCF, Head Australia and New Zealand (and TCF / TCF Commodity Support Group (CSG) team) as and when required.
• Ensure good communication with key stakeholders (e.g., other TCF offices, TCF risk management, TCF execs, branch execs, Corporate Banking Relationship Managers, credit, legal, F&C, trade services, back office, etc.).
• Create share and use knowledge with TCF and within Australia and New Zealand Branch.
• Contribute to a strong, successful and well informed team atmosphere, including through open communication and discussion within the team.
• Keep Head TCF, Australia and New Zealand informed and up to date of key issues, including consulting on any areas that would cause tension.
• Operate within the branch and TCF framework as laid down in TCF business plans, policies and procedures, Rabo credit manuals, branch policies and procedures, etc.
• Other duties as directed.
• A relative tertiary qualification is desirable, preferably with finance, legal or commodity risk management exposure.
• At least 5-7 years banking / financial / commodity trading experience with preferably 5 years in a trade and commodity finance / commodity trading environment with a particular focus on structured inventory solutions
• Related industry experience / knowledge such as commodity trading or commodity risk management would be an advantage.
• Interest and knowledge of the food and agribusiness sectors.
• Good knowledge of banking, trade and commodity finance and commodity risk management tools gained from at least 5 to 7 years’ experience in a banking, finance or commodity trading environment.
• Essential knowledge and experience with SIP structures.
• A strong developed sense of risk management
• A good understanding of legal issues pertaining to SIP structures.
• Ability to deliver service which meets internal and external client expectations.
• Ability to see the needs of our customers both pro-actively and re actively.
Technical and Specialist Skills:
• Understanding of and demonstrated experience in SIP facilities, regulations and conventions.
• Sound understanding of the physical agri commodity markets prevalent in Australia (grains, cotton, sugar, etc). Together with a broader understating of the international physical and futures agri commodity markets.
• Experience in futures markets, exchanges and regulations, and understanding how to hedge commodities.
• Experience in soft commodities will be an advantage.
• Basic understanding of accounting standards and the reporting of assets and payables.
• A creative team player with excellent people skills and the ability to interact at all levels.
• Develops and maintains a broad internal as well as external network.
• Maturity, discretion and a demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
• Contribute positively to internal and external harmony via respect for all people and a commitment to deliver on promises and work expectations.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Result driven
• Quality driven
• A self-starter who can inspire internal and external contacts with confidence.
• Ability to instruct, overview and follow up internal and external support/service providers.
• Actively contributes to new initiatives, product and market development to enhance the product offering.
• Ability to provide key input to and then deliver on Business Plans and targets.
Planning and Organisation:
• Well organised and attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritise and manage work flow issues.
• Excellent deal management skills.
• Customer Focus – Engaging the customer in dialogue. Detecting and listing customers’ wishes and needs. Responding and anticipating to this, putting customer interest first. Thinking and acting from the customer’s perspective. Staying focused on creating added value for the customer (customer value) and improving the service provision.
• Partnership – Contributing to a joint result based on the philosophy of reciprocal value creation. Seeking collaboration and supporting others. Showing commitment to the joint objective and acting accordingly. Sharing information and knowledge with others. Achieving and connecting synergies.
• Deliver Results – Working actively and in a disciplined way towards achieving the agreed results and set goals. Working according to the principles of ‘right first time’ and ‘good is good enough’. Seeking challenges and identifying and creating opportunities to improve results.
• Networking – Building, expanding and maintain a network of internal and external contacts and relations. Creating the conditions for long-term customer relationships. Forming communities by bringing relevant stakeholders together.
• Commercial Orientation – Spotting opportunities in the market and capitalizing on them. Taking action to generate demonstrable added value. Delivering a result that benefits all parties involved, wherever possible based on a shared community interest.
• Communication – Delivers a strong and coordinated message. Ensures transparency.
Values & Agreed Standards:
• We are always client-focused and decisive.
• We work with courage and conviction.
• We are professional and considerate.
• We bring out the best in each other and are committed to keep learning.
• I go the extra mile for my clients.
• I dare to make a difference for the world I live in.
• I’m doing the right thing exceptionally well.
• I support you to make you better.