Job Overview & Purpose:
The role exists to manage and grow a portfolio of rural clients, in accordance with Bank and Area goals for profitability, client satisfaction and credit quality.
Context of Job:
Country Banking forms the core business of Rabobank New Zealand and has 33 offices across New Zealand. Country Banking enjoys a reputation as the leading provider of specialised banking services in the Food and Agribusiness sector. Country Banking New Zealand within Rabobank Australia and New Zealand Group (RANZG) is an important contributor to Rabobank globally.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities*:
• Meet individual targets for new and existing business growth and manage/develop a portfolio of clients, by developing client relationships.
• Manage complex clients and accounts.
• Provide the necessary level of service, to ensure high customer satisfaction while focussing on
o Credit Management - Reduce risk exposure through prudential management of assets by adhering to Credit Policy.
o Financial Management - Achieve financial outcomes for their portfolio through growth and financial management including asset growth, deposit growth and budget and increasing average portfolio margin and fees.
o Marketing / prospects – ensuring service levels are achieved for the portfolio ensuring MAPS database is up to date and conversion of prospects to clients is achieved.
• Create and execute Farm Business Discussion “FBDs” documentation for each client.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the Area marketing plans, business plans and budgets.
• Assist the Area Agribusiness Manager in ensuring that the Area performs at or better than budgeted goals and targets, also ensuring compliance and in building and maintaining Rabobank profile in the market place.
• Ensure high customer satisfaction and maintain high customer advocacy rates.
• Ensure the credit application process is completed to a high standard with minimal reworks.
• Identify business risks and poor-performing assets early and ensure appropriate action taken to resolve.
• Ensure compliance with the bank’s policies and procedures at all times, including Audit, Compliance, Business Continuity and Credit (excesses, reviews, client conditions).
• Contribute to the achievement of the Bank's CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) goals and objectives and adhere to CSR policies.
• Promote the desired risk culture and maintain strong relationships with all lines of defence.
• Manage and resolve customer complaints and disputes in a timely manner.
• Coach and mentor colleagues as required.
• Other duties as directed.
• Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or relevant agricultural discipline.
• Minimum 5+ years’ experience in relationship management gained within rural banking or related industry role.
• Has a sound knowledge of base financial information (including Balance sheets / P&L /Cash flow statements) and can articulate this verbally and in written form.
• Has knowledge of the Bank’s products (e.g. Treasury / GFM) services (e.g. RaboResearch) and associated credit policies and provides a high level of value-add to the client.
• Has appropriate knowledge of the Banks target sectors, or, shows aptitude to involve other stakeholders who do.
Communication & Negotiation Skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to:
• Build relationships
• Explore borrower’s future business plans and associated risk tolerance then balance this with the bank’s risk appetite
• Maintain adept influencing and negotiation skills, ask challenging questions and actively explain/portray the Bank’s position to the Borrower and their related stakeholders
• Manage expectations of multiple stakeholders to achieve time bound outcomes;
• Highly regarded by clients and external parties (as measured by NPS results and direct feedback)
• Sound understanding and knowledge of the Bank’s initial and ongoing information base requirements and positions this appropriately with the Borrower
• Sound understanding of the Bank’s target market and Strategy. Actively maintains a pipeline of prospects and qualifies in MAPS, proactively communicates these with all stake holders.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills including:
o proactively driving communications with early engagement of other core team members (Credit and Support)
o ability to influence key internal stakeholders including legal, Global Financial Markets (GFM), RaboResearch, Operations (as appropriate)
o Setting and management of appropriate timeframes and expectations with ability to prioritise for deals.
• Takes a balanced macro (RANZG and financial industry) view as well as a micro (client) view.
• Demonstrated ability to balance Structure and Pricing for risk/reward:
o Understanding of Risk Adjust Return On Capital (RAROC) and seeks to negotiate terms and conditions that align the Bank with the borrower’s risk profile, providing appropriate protection and triggers in the event of non-performance.
Credit Paper Preparation
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and take transaction/request ownership within deal team:
• Overarching responsibility for credit paper and ability to proficiently present deals well in terms of:
o “Right First Time” information base collection including, where available, customer prepared 3 way (profit and loss, balance sheet, cash flow) forecasts and budgets with key assumptions and profit drivers or, customer endorsed Bank prepared forecasts/budgets with clear underlying assumptions completed in conjunction with Borrower and their service providers
o Clearly and concisely articulates the proposed Transaction, rationale and source and use of funds (if applicable)
o c) Has a sound understanding of and ability to articulate:
* Business model and analysis
* Key risk identification
Compliance & Operational Risk
• Overarching responsibility for business risk, including:
• Facility maturities, excesses, ongoing covenant and compliance monitoring and reviews in a timely and sufficient manner as per Bank policy and procedure.
• Customer Focus - Engaging the customer in dialogue. Detecting and listing customers' wishes and needs. Responding and anticipating to this, putting customer interest first. Thinking and acting from the customer's perspective. Staying focused on creating added value for the customer (customer value) and improving the service provision.
• Partnership - Contributing to a joint result based on the philosophy of reciprocal value creation. Seeking collaboration and supporting others. Showing commitment to the joint objective and acting accordingly. Sharing information and knowledge with others. Achieving and connecting synergies.
• Deliver Results – Working actively and in a disciplined way towards achieving the agreed results and set goals. Working according to the principles of ‘right first time’ and ‘good is good enough’. Seeking challenges and identifying and creating opportunities to improve results.
• Communication - Delivers a strong and coordinated message. Ensures transparency.
• Initiative – Challenging self and others to pursue initiatives and take responsible risks with the objective of improving results. Making decisions and initiating actions based on a well-considered risk analysis. Daring to speak up and make choices. Taking responsibility for own decisions and choices.
• Commercial Orientation - Spotting opportunities in the market and capitalizing on them. Taking action to generate demonstrable added value. Delivering a result that benefits all parties involved, wherever possible based on a shared community interest.
• I support you to make you better.