Senior Client Coverage Banker - Energy Transition
Rabobank Wholesale Banking North America is a premier corporate and investment bank to the food, agribusiness, commodities and renewable energy industries, providing sector expertise, strategic advisory and tailored financial solutions to our clients. We thrive on building long-term relationships with clients and stakeholders in the fastest-growing food and agribusiness region of the world.
Strategic objective of the division
Main objectives & growth strategy of the global business line
In line with Rabobank’s strategy to be a leading global bank for the Energy Transition with a sector knowledge advantage, Rabobank North America is expanding its team of specialized renewable energy bankers. In this regard, knowledge leadership in this sector, building new client relationships and client income maximization will be a primary focus and responsibility of the Senior Client Coverage Banker in achieving his/her commercial objectives. The Banker operates in a dynamic and demanding environment in which proactivity, flexibility and discipline is required across all areas, from pitching through structuring and execution, to follow up and monitoring. The ET line of business is a crucial new growth strategy for Rabobank North America and will offer the Banker the opportunity to play a leading role in building and evolving this growth business. The Banker is responsible for his/her own commercial objectives which are centered on revenue delivery, cost management and loss minimization. The regulatory framework is bound to local regulatory frameworks and Rabobank policies and procedures.
Mission statement: Rabobank is committed to support the energy transition globally. Job Profile X 11.22.2022 – Project Finance – MD, Energy Transition Senior Client Coverage Banker Rabobank has been a key player in the Dutch energy sector for many years across the entire spectrum of products and services. Internationally, we have supported the energy sector through, mainly, our strong position in PF. Rabobank North America’s ambition is to be a leading renewable energy financier and facilitator of industry transition to cleaner fuels for our clients. Rabobank has consistently been a frontrunner in renewable energy finance. PF has built a strong portfolio in this sector, demonstrating a distinctive advantage in terms of knowledge, commitment and experience. Rabobank is a leading global bank in this sector (Bloomberg #7 Global Ranking in Renewable Energy in 2021), financing annually >85 projects globally in the onshore wind, solar power, biomass energy storage and geothermal sector. Rabobank would like to maintain its leading position as this sector rapidly moves into new markets and new technologies. Working for the Rabobank Group demands special competences from the individual employee, who must have a natural tendency to collaborate with customers, other team members and colleagues. The added value manifests itself in permanent, mutual collaboration between all national and international business units and entities within the Rabobank Group. The permanent collaboration enables us to achieve shared professional results, where short-term and long-term customer interest is at the forefront. This requires employees to have a personality which is clearly "actively focused on other people" and for employees to make a careful consideration between risks and results in the performance of work duties with the objective to increase and maintain customer confidence in the entire value chain of product development, product distribution and customer advice. Employees within the Rabobank Group are aware of possible risks to the organization in performing their work duties and handle these risks with care. The Rabobank Group’s Code of Conduct forms the framework for how to do business within the entire Rabobank Group.
Objectives of the role
The main tasks and responsibilities of the Senior Client Coverage Banker (Banker) are to manage and develop client relationships with global and North America-based companies involved in the Energy Transition (ET) to lower-carbon fuel sources. More specifically, the Banker represents Rabobank to new and existing clients in this sector, and is fully responsible and accountable maximizing the revenues from these clients through successful origination, structuring and execution (as deal captain) of tailored transactions. The Banker will act as lead structuring/execution deal captain for corporate-related transactions for ET-related clients of the Project Finance business line (i.e., owners and operators of renewable energy and other ET-related assets) as well as develop new business with owners/operators and supply chain participants in the emerging ET sector (which may include manufacturers and service providers in the sector). This client base is expected to develop as Rabobank’s footprint in the ET sector grows and will initially be in the wind, solar, distributed energy, battery storage and waste-to-energy/renewable natural gas subsectors with future growth anticipated in hydrogen, e-mobility, carbon capture and other emerging subsectors. The Banker is furthermore responsible for risk monitoring and (if applicable) actively supporting the Bank’s Financial Restructuring Department in ongoing restructurings of his/her client portfolio and for maintaining an active dialogue with local and regional risk managers, and the Bank’s Risk Department in the US and the Netherlands. The Banker will manage a team of transaction specialists and coach more junior employees in the performance of their tasks and responsibilities.
The role allows the Banker, among other skills, to:
• Further develop deep account management and business development/origination skills and experience;
• Apply his/her existing deep knowledge and understanding of energy industry dynamics to maximize client franchise income for Corporate Clients;
• Serve as a key facilitator of cooperation across product teams;
• Be the deal captain in complex transaction execution;
• (Pro)actively participate on ET sector platforms and in other internal and external networks;
• Develop coaching and (project) management skills.
The key relationships for the Banker include: Product Specialists and Department Heads, Global and Regional Sector Heads, Debt Structuring Advisors, Risk Department (New York and Utrecht), Legal, Compliance, Rabobank Senior Management, RaboResearch Analysts, RaboAgrifinance, De Lage Landen (Rabobank’s leasing arm) and other banks. In Job Profile X 11.22.2022 – Project Finance – MD, Energy Transition Senior Client Coverage Banker addition, the Banker is expected to have strong existing relationships with key decision makers (CEO/CFO/Shareholders) of clients and prospects in the ET sector.
• Origination: opportunity/idea generation; Initial analysis; opportunity/idea development/pitchbook production; pitching/presentations; Client Service Team representation;
• Product Ownership: overall ownership of corporate lending within the North America Energy Transition strategy;
• Structuring: deep financial analysis and financial modelling; scenario analysis; deal structuring (pricing, covenant setting, etc.); mandate documents negotiation; due diligence coordination;
• Execution: internal approval generation; loan documents negotiation; signing/closing/post-closing coordination; syndication support; deal team management;
• Management and mentorship: managing (junior) client coverage banker and credit analysts in origination and execution of transactions;
• Monitoring: information processing/covenant checks; credit reviews and waiver requests;
Reporting line: Reports to the Regional Head PF Americas.
From a Client Coverage perspective:
• Origination: opportunity/idea generation; opportunity development/ pitchbook production; pitching/presentations
• Networking: building and maintaining a network within Rabobank; building and maintaining a network among external advisors and banks; building and maintaining a network among leading players in Energy Transition asset development, construction and ownership and the related supply chain
• Management: effectively represent Rabobank in developing and maintaining viable relationships with the desired customer base; financial reporting and portfolio revenue forecasting; operational risk management
• Account Management: relationship account planning; Client Service Team coordination; prospecting; client networking; CRM data management; pipeline management
• Execution: multi-product deal team coordination
• Portfolio Management: exercising portfolio control; maintaining dialogue with credit risk analyst, senior risk officer and various credit departments; active portfolio management/financial resource planning
Comply with all US laws, rules and regulations, including without limitation, AML and OFAC/Sanctions requirements and the reporting of suspicious activity (and all Rabobank policies, procedures and guidelines), as well as the following Policies and Standards: - Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy - Anti-Money Laundering Policy - Clean Desk Policy Job Profile X 11.22.2022 – Project Finance – MD, Energy Transition Senior Client Coverage Banker - Code of Conduct - Complaint and Whistleblower Protection Policy - Conflicts of Interest Policy - Gift and Entertainment Policy - Information Barrier and Confidentiality Policy - Know Your Customer Procedures - Media Policy - Outside Interest Policy (Including Outside Business Activities and Private Investments) - Personal Investment Policy - Required Absence from Sensitive Position Policy - Sanctions Policy - World Wide Compliance Standards - Employee Policy Manual
*Originating, structuring and executing transactions, in the role of deal captain. The Banker is expected to achieve the projected core lending ET revenues, build a portfolio of ET corporate clients and play a leading role in supporting the cross sell targets. 40%
*Relationship management: building and extending a relationship with large Global Sponsors in the Renewable Energy Sector. 30%
*Developing and expanding thought leadership in the Renewable Energy Sector 15 Coaching and knowledge transfer to team members. 15%
Leadership: In case of (hierarchical) management responsibilities the following is applicable:
• Give priority to the long-term interests of your customers and Rabobank.
• Displaying adequate exemplary behavior and fulfilling an exemplary position concerning the propagation of core values and basic principles of focus on customers’ interests first (in Dutch ‘Klantbelang Centraal’).
• Act responsibly with regard to identified risks and actively discuss these both within and outside the own domain.
• Act within the defined risk appetite and be accountable for the extent to which we demonstrably manage risks through risk assessments, controls and mitigating actions.
• Stimulate and assure a strong risk culture, awareness of risks and everyone’s contribution to risk management and protecting Rabobank’s reputation.
• Ensuring the creation of a culture and circumstances in order to function properly as a unit; honesty and ethical standards and values in the control and treatment of employees; following the HR cycle, GROW! and creating a feedback culture.
Key performance indicators
Market / Customer Focus
• Uses market insight to serve the customer in the best way possible
• Draws up an effective action plan for the team
• Engages the immediate environment to feel committed and accountable
Synergize across group
• Demonstrates broad professional collaboration to add value
• Spreads innovative ideas and experience
Output/ result driven
• Achieves consistent (commercial) results together with others Job Profile X 11.22.2022 – Project Finance – MD, Energy Transition Senior Client Coverage Banker
Knowledge, experience and competencies Education / Work and attitude level
• At least 15 years of Client Coverage/RM experience in the energy sector, including selling, originating and executing traditional lending products, as well as cross selling more complex corporate finance products
• MBA or equivalent degree or equivalent work experience
Additional requirements and/or qualifications
• Proven track record in wholesale banking
• Proven track record in debt and credit structuring
• Experience in relationship/account management
• Experience in structuring and negotiating deals with clients
• Experience in leading transactions
• Experience of working with global and NA-based energy companies
• Understanding of the dynamics in the energy industry
• Deep and wide banking product knowledge
• Drive for innovation and value creation
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, including cross-team collaboration and teamwork
• High energy, work ethic and desire for excellence
Other potential qualifications
• CFA qualifications
• Series 79/63
• Formal credit training program completed
Leadership and skills:
• The 4 dimensions of Rabo Leadership: Personal, Team, One Rabo and Community
• Judgement & decision making
With healthcare and insurance costs on the rise, Rabobank employees enjoy a first-class benefits package, featuring a selection of medical coverage and investment options to meet your personal needs. Our benefits program includes:
- Health care spending account
- Dependent care spending account
- Basic life insurance plus AD&D insurance
- Optional life insurance
- Short-term disability
- Long-term disability
- 401(k) program
- Health and wellness seminars
- Tuition reimbursement
Target Hiring Range:
$270,000 - $400,000
This position is subject to the terms of Rabobank’s compensation plans and policies. It is anticipated that the position will pay within the target hiring range. The range is reflective of the desired primary physical work location and may be adjusted outside of the projected range based on geographical differentiation if the actual work location of the hired candidate differs from the desired primary location, or for other lawful reasons. Further, the position includes all other benefits provided to Rabobank employees, including healthcare benefits, 401k matching, vacation, sick leave, parental leave, possible discretionary bonuses and all other benefits that are all governed by and subject to ERISA plan documents and eligibility.
Rabo provides equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity gender expression, marital status, genetic information, medical condition, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, military service or veteran status, victims of domestic violence, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Rabo also prohibits harassment of any individuals on any of the bases listed above.
At Rabobank, we strive to grow a better world together. In order to achieve that, we have to have the right people in the right jobs. Are you ready to join our team?