Data Engineer Carbon Banking
Imagine running a start-up. Growing a Better World together by offering Carbon Banking solutions to our clients. A better investment for a better world. As Data Engineer, you can make a difference by collecting and structuring large complex datasets as a Data Engineer and by developing data pipelines that the Data Team can use on a daily basis. Within the Data & Analytics Team you think along about data architecture issues and you help design the end-to-end solution for the data products we as a Carbon Bank develop.
Making a difference
A better investment for a better world, that is how we look at the opportunity to Grow a Better World Together and at the same time support our clients with reducing the carbon footprint significantly. We call it “Banking for carbon neutrality” or Carbon Banking.
The global warming challenge that impacts us all around the world, with increasing numbers of floods, fires, droughts and storms, needs to be addressed. The concept of Carbon Banking is an innovative way of addressing this urgent global challenge. Through our existing customer base of farmers and corporates around the world we develop carbon credit generating projects that restore soils, generate additional revenues for farmers and drive carbon reduction and compensation schemes for businesses.
For Farmers: We help farmers transition into carbon farming through tailored financing solutions, training, and a marketplace where they can sell generated carbon credits.
For corporates: We help businesses reduce their emissions by decarbonizing supply chains through farmers. While offering (custom) farmer credits to offset their remaining carbon footprint.
Currently, the global Carbon Banking program is in the “solution fit” phase. To accelerate the Carbon Banking program further by developing financing solutions and building partnerships we are looking for a Data Engineer. In this role, you are responsible to support the development and deployment of our Data, Insight and AI-powered solutions. You will be working within the Data & Analytics team on data related topics that have direct impact on the mission of the Carbon Bank. You work closely with the carbon farming team, the carbon insetting team and special project team and with the data experts within the wider Carbon Bank.
Important success factors are:
- Collecting and structuring “Analytics” ready datasets;
- Developing, managing and optimizing robust and reliable data pipelines;
- Creating architectural solutions for performance and safety;
- Implementing solutions to bring together all kinds of data sources (internal, external, open source);
- Applying the latest technology to make the bank more data-driven.
With each other
Collaboration is at the heart of everything we do. You as a Data Engineer are an integral part of the Data & Analytics team and will tackle various data related challenges. On top of that you will work on global and cross functional data driven innovation projects.
Rogier de Haan, Lead Data & Analytics Carbon Banking: “The earth heating up is the biggest challenge humanity has ever faced. Working with carbon bank is having real impact on climate change and data is at the heart of that. Getting the data right is the biggest enabler for finding new business models for Rabobank in a completely new market. And this is really exciting!”
As a Data Engineer within the Carbon Bank you take responsibility, facilitate and inspire the team, you actively seek for in- and external collaboration and you make the difference. In addition, it's important that you recognise yourself in the checklist below:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Data Engineering, Computer Science or related studies
- 3-6 years experience as a data engineer
- Extensive experience with relational databases such as SQL
- Extensive experience with common programming languages such as Python and Spark
- Experience with cloud environments, preferably Microsoft Azure, Databricks and Azure Data Factory
- Experience with workflow and scheduling platforms such as Apache Airflow
- Experience in working with Agile / Scrum and DevOps
- Experience with non-relational databases such as NoSQL, Cassandra, Neo4j and Redis is an advantage
- Fluent in Dutch and English
Growing a better world together
You'll already be aware that Rabobank is a financial services provider for more than 8.5 million customers in 40 countries. But did you know that we aim to contribute to real change with our 'Growing a better world together' mission? We do so in countless ways, such as:
- Together with the World Wildlife Fund, we're helping to create a harmonious balance between nature and the agricultural sector in Brazil.
- Thanks to an agreement with the UN World Food Programme, more agricultural products are purchased from small farmers in Rwanda, Tanzania and Zambia. We aim to expand this platform to include one and a half million farmers in 25 countries by 2030.
Do you want to become the ideal version of yourself? We would love to help you achieve this by focusing firmly on your growth, development, and investing in an environment where you keep learning every day. We give you the space to innovate and initiate. In this way, we offer you numerous opportunities to grow and help you exceed your expectations, to do the right thing exceptionally well, and to therefore grow as a professional. In addition, with us (on the basis of a 36-hour working week), you can also expect:
- a gross monthly salary in scale 9 (between € 3.769,- and € 5.384,-);
- a thirteenth month and holiday pay;
- an Employee Benefit Budget (11% of your monthly salary). You decide how to spend this budget. This may include purchasing extra leave days, making extra pension contributions or even receiving a monthly cash payout;
- a personal budget that you can spend on activities related to your personal development and career;
- flexible working times and location-independent working;
- 100% reimbursement of commuting costs if you travel by public transport! Do you still prefer to travel by car or motorbike? Then choose a commuting allowance;
- a pension scheme, to which your contribution is only 3,5%.
Are you the person we're looking for? Are you ready to join Rabobank as a Data Engineer and to make a difference to yourself, our customers and to society? We look forward to receiving your application for this vacancy in Utrecht.
Good to know
- Applications are open until we find the right candidate. Apply via the “Apply now” button.
- Doortje de Boer, Recruiter, would be happy to answer any questions about the application procedure via email@example.com.
We want to use your talent in the broadest sense and would like to look at your response more broadly than this vacancy. Your profile will be included in the Sourcing Board Data & Analytics. If you object to this, you can indicate this by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The application process includes screening. Based on the screening procedures in place at Rabobank, we assess whether new staff are reliable enough to work at Rabobank.
- Your privacy is important to us. Do you want to know more, click on this link.
- Everyone is different, and it is exactly those differences that help us become an even better bank. That's why we want to know who you really are!